Monday, April 11, 2016

Duke turns 14!


Our dog Duke turns 14 years old this month! And he's doing great! He just recently had his yearly physical exam and blood work done and everything looked great. In fact, his kidney values, which showed some elevation on a blood test just six months prior, had improved! That's something I don't normally hear! How did I manage that? I already feed him quality human grade, organic or raw foods with added supplements like probiotics, digestive enzymes and coconut oil along with the best water you can drink -- structured water. The only thing I did different since then is I added a daily kidney and liver supplement in his food. It seems to have done the trick! What good news! 


To celebrate his birthday I made him pumpkin muffins for dogs made with healthy ingredients. Duke loves them! I got the recipe out of a book called Doggy Desserts and customized it with organic ingredients. They're easy and quick to make. I've included the recipe if you would like to make them for your own dog(s):


Pumpkin Muffins for Dogs


Pumpkin Muffins for Dogs


2-1/2 cups unbleached white flour (I used Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda (organic)
1 tsp baking powder (organic, no aluminum)
1/2 cup all natural applesauce, no sugar added (organic)
1 egg (organic)
1 cup can pumpkin (organic)
1/4 cup honey (local)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped (optional)

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until blended. Spoon the batter into muffin cups, 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. The muffins are completely baked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Break apart into pieces for smaller dogs and for dogs who inhale food.

Yield: The book says approximately 8 muffins. However, I got 21 muffins out of this recipe! (though I did use a different kind of flour.)

Happy 14th Birthday Duke!


No comments:

Post a Comment